Thursday, July 8, 2010

Candidate Forum in Edmond

The Edmond Chamber of Commerce’s 5th District Congressional Candidate Forum was today. Seven Republicans, 2 Democrats, a Republo-Independent, and me, your humble Independent / Libertarian.

It was interesting to hear Democrat Tom Guild actually talk like a Democrat amid the sea of Republicans. But mostly it was a lot of people saying a lot of the same stuff, trying to claim the conservative high ground.

My biggest contribution was to draw attention to the copies of the “World’s Smallest Political Quiz” (www.TheAdvocates.org) that fellow Libertarian and Lieutenant Governor candidate Richard Prawdzienski had passed out. So people could see for themselves where they are on the political spectrum.

There were 3 questions for each of us. My answer to the one about the economy rambled and was pretty much just Libertarian boilerplate. Gave myself a “C” on that.

My answer about immigration was better, but I didn’t remember to emphasize that as a practical matter, rounding up 12 to 15 million illegals and sending them back was out of the questions. Not unless we are prepared to become a police state.

The third question was about how would I interact with Edmond public and private leaders if elected. So I demonstrated how, by going down into the audience and asking our mayor, Patrice Douglas, what her concerns were. Then asking a private citizen about his concerns. Then asking a state representative – also running for Congress – the same question.

Republican Rick Flanigan – a good guy – jokingly called it a “skit”. I had to correct him later; it wasn’t a “skit”, it was a “shameless stunt” designed to help people remember me.

All in all, it was worth the time spent. I’m looking forward to after the primaries and/or run-offs, thought, when there will be just 4 of us on the stage and we can do a little more eye-to-eye debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment